Originally planned as brand new 1966 model for the cash-strapped Studebaker Corporation, Brooks Stevens was one of three design studios working on new prototype models for the company. The car had many new features including a brand new technology light bar system that was just developed by Sylvania, as well as equally impressive matching appearance tailight bar as well. Other design studios by Raymond Loewy and Charles Sorensen were also working on some new designs such as an updated Avanti based four door sedan styled designs. But sadly, by 1966, the Studebaker company was severely cash strapped and closed the long time South Bend, Indiana plant, and instead consolidated what was left of the company producing some cars in Canada at the Hamilton, Ontario, plant which was formerly mostly used for engine production until March of 1966, before Studebaker quit the car business, and then only produced the STP engine additive for a number of years. The company had been in business since 1852, started by five brothers as a blacksmith business that later produced compact covered wagon designs compared to the larger wagons built by the rival Conestoga company.