Will Ferrell Wins Something That Matters
We’ve got Oscars, Grammy’s, Emmy’s, Tony’s and…Twain’s? Apparently there is an award for humor named after cherished American author, Mark Twain.
I mean, it makes sense, because Mark Twain was hilarious! Did you ever read “Huckleberry Finn” or “Tom Sawyer?” They are chock full of all sorts of comic tomfoolery and jokes, wedged in between social commentary on slavery, poverty and getting other people to do chores for you. Hilarious.
Anyway, this year’s Twain prize (as I’m totally calling it from here on out) was awarded to Mr. Will Ferrell. I believe that Mark Twain actually got this one right.
Here are some of his now award-winning characters:
- Mustafa – Austin Powers 1 and 2.This henchman is best known for wearing a red fez and taking a long, long time to die. One of the most quotable scenes from this movie is when Dr. Evil ejects Mustafa into his fiery pit, only to be thwarted. Best quotes:
- “I’m very badly burned, yet still alive.”
- “You shot me! In the arm! Why would you shoot me in the arm?”
- Mugatu – Zoolander.After having so much fun as Mustafa, creating another evil character, this time an evil fashion designer, was an easy transition to make. Best quotes:
- “They’re break-dance fighting”
- “Let me show you Derelicte. It is fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.”
- “I invented the piano key necktie. I invented it! What have you done? Nothing!”
- Buddy the Elf – Elf.As super naïve, wholesome adopted elf, Buddy, Will Ferrell made a Christmas movie actually worth watching. And created a character that I would actually like to hang out with. Especially if Zoe Deschanel is close by. Best quotes:
- “We elves try to stick to the four main food groups, candy, candy canes, candy corn and syrup”
- (Addressing the Gimbel’s store Santa) “You sit on a throne of lies!”
- More Cowbell Guy– Saturday Night Live. The best, forgotten member of Blue Oyster Cult. Best quotes:
- None. But man, that guy can hit a cowbell
- Chazz Michael Michaels– Blades of Glory. One of his most underrated works, Ferrell plays the horniest of horndog male ice skaters, who after being banned from ice skating as a single, finds a loophole that allows he and another male skater to compete as a pair. Even the synopsis of this movie is funny, and Chazz does not disappoint. Best quotes:
- “No exaggeration, I could not love a human baby more than I love this brush.”
- Jimmy: “Get out of my face.
- Chazz: “I’ll get inside your face.”
- “I’m a sex addict. It’s my cross to bear. It’s a real disease with doctors and medicine and everything!”
- “We love you Denver! City by the Bay!”
- Ron Burgundy– Anchorman. This one goes without saying. In the male-dominated world of news broadcasting in the 1970’s, Ron Burgundy is the alpha dog of the newsroom. Until a new woman enters and ruins everything. This is some of his best work, and the newscaster street fight is one of the funniest scenes of all time. I don’t care what anyone else says. Best quotes:
- “For just one night, let’s not be co-workers. Let’s be co-people.”
- “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back. I want to be on you.”
- “Sweet Lincoln’s mullet!”
- “I’m in a glass case of emotion.”
- “I’m gonna punch you in the ovaries, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.”
So as you can see, Mark Twain knows what he’s talking about when he gives this award to Will Ferrell. Nicely done, Mr. Twain.
This guest post is by Edwin, an author for Celebutaunt. You can follow him on Twitter: @TheCelebutaunt.